A cancer diagnosis can be one of the scariest things you ever hear and can trigger emotions running from anger to depression, fear to pity. But cancer can be beaten, and there are countless stories out there of patients battling back their cancer and overcoming it completely. Overcoming cancer depends on a number of things including treatment, speed, and even personal will. Reading for inspiration is a great way to find and maintain hope in the face of this disease no matter what type of cancer you have. Just knowing that you aren’t alone is often enough to give you strength through a difficult day. Here are fifty of the very best blogs devoted to fighting cancer in all of its forms.
Online Support Communities
More than just blogs, these sites let you take part in discussions, connect with other patients, read inspirational or heartbreaking stories, and much more.
- Cancer Guide – This blog is filled with real stories from cancer patients and is one of the most inspirational sites on the internet.
- Onco Chat – This site allows you to share your own experiences, read those of others, and connect with other survivors.
- Hear Me Roar – This site is devoted to helping women with cancer find strength through others. Personal stories, essays, blog posts, interviews, and more will help you find the inspiration you need to overcome your diagnosis.
- I’m Too Young for This – This site is focused on younger patients from fifteen to forty who are battling cancer. Regular blog posts and connection options make it an important site for young cancer patients.
- The LGBT Cancer Project – Devoted to increasing cancer knowledge within the LGBT community, this site has been going strong for four years and is committed to offering education and awareness.
- Blog for a Cure – You can read numerous blogs from different cancer survivors and even post your own. Anything you want to write about is fine, and with so many members this is one of the most well-known cancer communities on the net.
- National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship – This is a cancer advocacy group fighting for quality cancer care for all patients and hopes to change the regulation, finances, and other functions of cancer change. It’s led by a survivor, for survivors.
- Gilda’s Club – This site lets you read stories from survivors as well as the newest news developments related to cancer.
- Cancer Survivors Network – Ran by the American Cancer Society, this community helps you learn more about surviving cancer, read inspirational stories, and connect with others dealing with the disease.
These blogs were started by those dealing with cancer as both a way to help themselves cope with it and to give others inspiration and information on the condition. Some are still regularly updated while the authors of others eventually lost their battle. Still, reading them may help you find the strength, courage, and hope that you need to help with your condition.
10. Glenn Keeping – This site is updated by a gay man living with cancer and shares stories about life in both the cancer and gay communities.
11. Tony’s Cancer – A blog from a cancer survivor detailing his battle against the disease.
12. Baldy’s Blog – Written by a twenty five year old reporter who was diagnosed with two different types of leukemia at the same time. He talked about all of his experiences here until he eventually passed away, although loved ones still make posts on the blog. A highly inspirational and courageous blog.
13. Red’s Daily Dish – This blog is run by an inspirational speaker who was diagnosed with cancer.
14. Each Day Counts – Blog from a cancer survivor who also underwent a successful liver transplant, Each Day Counts helps provide inspiration to those who need it.
15. David Green’s Prostate Cancer Survivor Blog – The name really says it all. Here, David writes about his diagnosis, treatment, and battle against cancer as well as his life in general.
16. My Cancer – NPR commentator Leroy Sievers made regular commentaries on the radio as well as posting daily updates to this blog on the NPR site. Take a look at his life and his fight with cancer all the way up until his final days.
17. Our Cancer – This site was born from My Cancer after Leroy’s death and hosts updates from the NPR community about cancer and life with it.
18. Appendix Cancer Survivor’s Blog – Stories of life and triumph from a survivor of appendix cancer.
19. They Call Me Galvez – Eric Galvez writes blog posts about brain cancer and surviving it on this blog.
20. Brain Hell – A moving, courageous blog written by a husband and father of two. The final days are heartbreaking, but filled with love and courage.
21. Cancer Diva – This woman was diagnosed with colon cancer and set about sharing her entire life through this blog. From prescription info, treatment descriptions, wig shopping, and much, much more, this is an in depth, very candid look at life as a cancer patient.
22. Asher’s Journey after Brain Cancer – Started by a mom whose son contracted brain cancer, this site is still updated. The uplifting story of a boy who managed to overcome his cancer is moving and well worth reading.
23. Surviving Leukemia – Still updated by the author’s parents, this site details his struggle with acute leukemia and beyond and has even been turned into a book.
24. Losing the Butterfly – This blog is written by a thyroid cancer survivor and offers hope in the face of the disease.
25. An Inch an Hour – Written by a man who survived prostate and rectal cancer, this blog discusses surviving cancer and enjoying life in general.
26. Miss Melanoma – A blog written with levity, Miss Melanoma is a blog focused on dealing with skin cancer.
27. Surviving Ovarian Cancer – Written by a woman coping with ovarian cancer, this blog shows her courage and hope leading into her final days and can help others find the strength and courage that they need as well.
28. Cancer Guy – Written by a survivor of stage four colon cancer, this blog focuses not only on cancer, but on life, happiness, and other important matters.
29. The Adventures of Baldylocks – Just as the name suggests, this blog from a leukemia survivor approaches the topic with a bit of humor and attitude that helps set it apart from other, more serious and somber blogs.
30. Living With Prostate Cancer – This blog is devoted to all things related to the condition including treatment, bridging the gap between patients and doctors, wives of men with the condition, lumpectomies, and much, much more. If you or a loved one is suffering from prostate cancer, this is a must visit blog.
31. Lumpy’s Diary – A blog about the life of a Hodgkin’s Lymphoma survivor including their battle with the disease. Stories of other survivors are also shared on a regular basis, helping turn the blog into a community of sorts.
32. BruceDan’s Blog – This blog is honest and frank, detailing not only the successes in cancer battles but also the disappointments and how to overcome them when they rear their ugly heads.
33. Diary of a Survivor – Here a breast cancer survivor and successful author takes the time to show others that life doesn’t have to stop just because of cancer. It talks about life with cancer, what to expect during treatments, and much more.
34. The Colon Cancer Experience – This blog delivers just what its name suggests, telling you just what to expect during colon cancer, from diagnosis to treatment, medications to remission, and beyond.
35. My Leukemia Diary – A blog from a man living with leukemia, including his struggles, disappointments, and numerous triumphs. This is a very uplifting and inspirational blog worth visiting to keep your spirits high.
Organizational Based Blogs
These blogs are hosted or ran by various organizations committed to fighting cancer in all of its forms. You can usually find inspirational stories as well as information on treatments, clinical trials, and conquering cancer at these blogs.
36. The American Cancer Society – This site is filled with regular updates about various cancer news, stories, and survivor tales. It also has a Cancer Survivors Network that is free to join. Whether you need hope or cold, hard information, this is a great place to start.
37. Children’s Cancer Hospital – This blog includes stories from nineteen different kids who all had different types of cancer at various degrees of seriousness. All the children are of different ages and provide not only a frank story concerning their diseases, but also anecdotes about the hospital itself and what other children should expect.
38. Cancer Kids – This site has existed since the early days of the internet and for over a decade has given children the chance to tell their cancer stories to others. There are stories and links to different children to aid in navigation.
39. Breast Cancer Stories – Over ten thousand visitors check out this site each month. Visitors can read stories from breast cancer survivors, upload their own stories, and form connections with others who are battling breast cancer.
40. The Mayo Clinic – For almost one hundred years the Mayo Clinic has helped people suffering from medical conditions. The cancer section of the site lets you read stories on all types of cancer and provides you with not only inspiration, but a wealth of cancer related knowledge and news.
41. Rare Cancer Support – This site is designed to give support, awareness, and information to both adults and children with very rare cancers. Treatment stories, procedure descriptions, and cancer overviews are available and the site tries to gain donations for these little-discussed cancers.
42. Cancer Guide – This site is filled with stories from numerous people about their struggle and also includes news and info on alternative therapy options, clinical trials, and much more.
43. Prostate Cancer Advocacy and Action – This blog provides you with info on experimental drugs, answers to questions on the prostate and its cancer, treatment news, and much more.
44. Breast Cancer Recovery – This blog helps promote four day retreats designed for women dealing with breast cancer and helps highlight what the retreat can do for you, as well as giving you more info on additional conferences devoted to the problem.
45. Stupid Cancer – This blog is focused for younger patients, primarily those under forty. Numerous bloggers write about all aspects of youth cancer culture including looks at medications, treatments, personal struggles, and much more.
46. PSA Rising – This blog is devoted to spreading information and knowledge about prostate cancer and includes blog posts on news, treatments, dietary considerations, personal opinions, and more.
47. MaleCare APC – The advanced prostate cancer section of the MaleCare site focuses on supplementing the primary care of prostate cancer. You’ll find personal stories along with clinical trial information, treatment explanations, drug overviews, news, and more.
48. Houston Cancer Examiner – Written by an employee of the MD Anderson Cancer Center, this blog breaks down the most recent and relevant cancer issues in plain English. From medical marijuana to losing your job, from dealing with chemo to finding courage in unique places, this blog covers it all.
49. El Blog Del Cancer – This blog is for Spanish speaking patients and covers all aspects of cancer including diet, genetics, medication, pregnancy during cancer, treatment options, and much more.
50. Hospice and Caregiving – The Hospice Foundation operates this blog that is focused on delivering stories, articles, and studies related to hospice caregiving and facing the end of life with courage.