A common understanding amongst people is that a gynecologist is a doctor who treats women during pregnancy and childbirth. But in reality it is Obstetrics which is a specialty of medicine that deals with pregnancy and childbirth and is also closely associated with gynecology. While obstetrics deals with pregnancy and childbirth, gynecology is a specialty of medicine which deals with the diseases, disorders and the treatment of female reproductive organs.
Both obstetrics and gynecology are closely associated with each other and deal with health care for women during pregnancy and childbirth along with other problems connected to the reproductive system in women which includes preventive care, prenatal care, and detection of sexually transmitted diseases, Pap smear test and also family planning. It is also commonly found that all gynecologists are also obstetricians as these two specialties overlap.
Gynecology is a word that is derived from the ancient Greek word gyne or gynaika which means women. Thus gynecology literally is the study of woman and their health care. The female reproductive system is made of different parts like ovary, uterus, fallopian tube, cervix and vagina. It is designed to carry out several functions. Problems to any part of the female reproductive system are considered to be gynecological problems which call for medical intervention, without which the problems can cause damages which are irreversible. The risk factors involved vary from one ailment to another. If cancer is fatal, infertility is a problem where one cannot conceive without proper treatment. Some of the gynecological problems that are commonly seen in women are:
* Menopause – a part of woman’s life when the menstrual cycle stops and she is no more fertile.
* Ovarian Cysts is a sac formed on the surface of women’s ovary during ovulation which holds the maturing egg. If the sac closes up after the egg is released, the sac can swell up with fluid causing some problems.
* Pelvic Inflammatory Disease occurs when women cannot conceive naturally or carry pregnancy to full term. This infection can cause scar tissue in the pelvic organ which may lead to infertility.
* Uterine Fibroids are the lumps that grow on the walls of the uterus which are not cancerous but may or may not create trouble.
* Cervical Cancer – The growth of abnormal and uncontrollable cells in the cervix causes cervical cancer which can often be cured if detected early through Pap test.
* Ovarian Cancer happens when abnormal cells grow in one or both the ovaries which could be cured if found early in the early stages.
As these problems call for medical intervention, it is needed to approach the best in the profession. Being home to best gynecologists of Pune, some of the hospitals here provide the best of services and outstanding facilities. Keeping health care of women as priority these hospitals with highly qualified gynecologists, work towards finding solution for these problems faced by women.