β-Phenyl-γ-aminobutyric acid, commonly known as Phenibut, is a derivative of the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid). Very similar to it, Phenibut has been used for over 50 years to treat a wide range of ailments, including anxiety, fear, depression, stress, insomnia, and post-traumatic stress disorder. It is also used for improving learning, memory and cognition.
Phenibut is sold legally as a nutritional supplement in many health food stores and online, and it can be a safer alternative to benzodiazepine drugs like Valium or Xanax. Many young guys are taking it recreationally to improve their mood, beat anxiety, and improve their social encounters.
Some people compare its effects to prescription opiates, amphetamines, or benzos. However, this product will provide a very natural feeling, so you won’t feel clumsy or intoxicated.
The appropriate dose of Phenibut depends on numerous factors, including your age and health. Although a natural supplement, please remember the correct dosage is still important. Be careful and follow all the directions on the product labels. 1 gram seems to be a good starting point for most.
Take your Phenibut on an empty stomach with water. The best effects come from combining with a stimulant (we recommend 100mg – 200mg of Caffeine). Wait at least 15 minutes, but eat some food within the hour.
It does take about 2 hours for the Phenibut to kick in. After 3 hours, reevaluate your dosage and add an extra 500mg if necessary. You will have to experiment, but we find this steady approach for determining the correct dosage most beneficial.
Don’t go overboard: more than 4 grams is not needed and it will put you to sleep. While the sleep is great, you may be hung over the next day. On the other hand, a smaller dose of Phenibut should leave you feeling great all throughout the next day.
To recap, when you’re starting out:
- Take 1 gram of Phenibut and 100 milligrams of Caffeine on an empty stomach with water
- Eat some food in the next 15 – 60 mins
- Wait 2 hours
- Add 500mg if needed
Phenibut side effects and withdrawal
There may be a few side effects and downsides associated with Phenibut. Specifically, tolerance builds quickly and there can be a mild hangover and withdraw symptoms. Some Phenibut directions state 5 days on two days off, but some people notice better effects with using it only once or twice a week. If you make a habit of taking Phenibut, you may develop a tolerance and experience some unfavorable withdrawal symptoms.
The effects of Phenibut are not subtle, and it is a bit difficult to describe those using words. Still, noticeable and intense Phenibut effects include:
- An intense calmness
- The desire to be social and connect with other people
- General well-being
- Improved cognitive function
- Enhanced motivation
Summing it all up
Phenibut is a powerful compound, not to be underestimated. Primarily, it has the potential to drastically improve social anxiety.
There are nootropics for every comfort level. If you’re sick of the typical set of choices and prepared to try something new, then Phenibut may be for you.
The bottom line is that Phenibut is legal, effective and cheap.
- Lapin I Phenibut (beta-phenyl-GABA): a tranquilizer and nootropic drug . CNS Drug Rev. (2001)
- Shul’gina GI, Ziablitseva EA Effect of the GABA derivative phenibut on learning . Vestn Ross Akad Med Nauk (2005)
- Tarakanov IA, Tarasova NN, Belova EA, Safonov VA Effect of phenibut on the respiratory arrest caused by serotonin . Eksp Klin Farmakol (2006)
- Nemeroff CB The role of GABA in the pathophysiology and treatment of anxiety disorders . Psychopharmacol Bull. (2003)
- Enna SJ Role of gamma-aminobutyric acid in anxiety . Psychopathology (1984)